with sectors and districts
General Berlin Map, 1961
City Map East Berlin, 1984
World War II the city of Berlin was divided in four
sectors. The American,
British and French sector were part of the western system while the Soviet
sector was part of the communist system in the East.
Until the erection of the Berlin Wall on August 13, 1961 Berlin citizen were
allowed to cross the border sectors from West to East or East to West Berlin.
West and East city map publishers showed both parts of the city on their maps
The after 1976 white painted Wall became also reality on city maps
in East Berlin: West Berlin was a white area on city maps published in the East.
East Berliners should not get to know too much information about the other
part of their city.
After the fall of the Wall the border between East and West Berlin also
disappeared from the city maps.
However the way of the Berlin Wall is still visible indirectly on Berlin city maps.
You only have to know that the former border was between the districts of East
and West Berlin.
Marzahn (founded 1979)
Hellersdorf (founded 1986)
Hohenschönhausen (founded 1985)
European History - Historical Map of Europe 1945-90
Maps of Europe - The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
OpenStreetMap - OpenStreetMap Project